Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Just what the world needs...another craft blog

So....


I have a habit of doing big embroidery projects.  Like 4'x5' size monsters that are white on white and look like a polar bear in a snow storm in photographs.  So introducing Quilt Beast II: The Low Contrast Embroidery Strikes back:



Any guesses?  If you guessed that Rae has slipped of the deep-end you would be correct.  Also a correct answer: Indo-Portuguese colcha (the term Indo-Portuguese is not the best, but more on that later) To add to the lunacy I won't be copying any one given colcha.  I don't ask musicians to play 'Free Bird' and I don't expect myself to reproduce a historical object just for the sake of reproducing a historical object.  I like to look at meaning that the symbols had historically, the materials and the people that made them.  By constructing my own embroidered story I hope to connect with people who have come before. I know this might make me sound like I'm fancy.  I'm not.  It just means that I find a shoe in a midden pit more interesting than the crown jewels.

A very interesting pair of shoes

So, in theory, I will be breaking down this project into bite size pieces (and not breaking down in a snot bubbling toddler).  

No comments:

Post a Comment